Games that are developed through the Indietopia Accelerator Program are required to meet the standards described in this Code of Conduct.
Participants sign our Code of Conduct before they join the Indietopia Accelerator Program. We think the main drive for a game, be it paid or free to play should always be fun, not the generation of an army of clickers or waiters to catch white wales that will eventually pay for all other players.
The games that our participants develop may not include (paid) gambling, pornographic, obscene, discriminatory or defamatory content. If a game does include (simulated) gambling components, it needs to have a minimum age restriction of 12+. Games that the teams develop at Indietopia can include simulated gambling, yet never paid for with real money or virtual currency. A wink or link to the gambling industry may be part of a game that revolves around the concept of fun.
We strongly believe the player should always be in control of the system of penalty and reward in a game. Games should be fun and fun can be the catalyst for incidental addictive side effects. However, these should remain side effects and never the main objective in a game. We don’t support a system where players are getting hooked for the sole purpose of driving them to generate new players (de facto creating a pyramid scheme) or solely keeping players busy with incomplete systems of penalty and reward.
General guidelines for The Indietopia Accelerator. Companies that connect to Indietopia:
- Will establish themselves as companies at the Indietopia offices during the time of the accelerator (one year);
- Are willing to follow the sessions by Venturelab North and attend seminars at Indietopia;
- Are willing to produce commercially viable games and demonstrate prototypes or finished products every four months. This well help them to showcase their game to potential investors, caseholders or publishers;
- Do not exist as companies for longer than three years;
- Have not received funding from The Netherlands earlier than the starting period within the Indietopia Accelerator;
- Consist of at least two persons, including a programmer and a dedicated producer or business developer;
- Are able to reimburse the provided grant after the acceleration year.